4/14/13

The Open Road


Jess and I took a little road trip this weekend


We soooo needed this
A time to break away and decompress
Not to mention I got to see my sisters



As I stared out the window
I thought about the silence in the car
Silence makes me nervous
This was different 
A comfortable silence

Six hours...that’s all it takes
It’s not that long
Six hours can determine the degree of your relationship
Will it last?
Do I want to do this again?
Is this nervous chatter? 
I’ve had to let one rip for like 3 hours now. (that’s really when you know)

I’ve been on a lot of road trips
with a lot of people
different people
I’ve road tripped well with some

and some 
not so well

Snippets of some of my road trips....

I learned how to harmonize to Holiday, by Madonna on this trip. Play, stop, rewind. Play, stop, rewind. Play stop, shit...rewind. (6 hours)

She almost hit 100 deer at one time. For real. (22 hours)

I rode in the backseat the whole time because they get car sick. But, we ate a lot of donuts, and talked the whole the time.  (12 hours)

We said the alphabet with cusswords. (10 hours)

We drove the wrong way on the interstate (24 hours)

I showed them my rapping skills (12 hours)

She almost killed us. She laughed so hard she almost passed out. Literally. (6 hours)

I held his nose while he slept because I was bored. God I miss this kid. (24 hours...every year)

We get closer every time we’re in the car. (1000’s of hours....love you Mom)

Not once did I get irritated on any of these trips (except for the horrible driving).  We talked, we cried, we smoked lots of ciggy’s (dang I miss those on road trips), we sang (badly), we ate crappy food. Memories were made. Friendships grew stronger.  After each trip, I knew... these people would be the ones I would grow old with.  
Jess and I have been on trips before
but today....she made me smile just knowing she was beside me
She learned how to dance (car dancing that is)
she sang
we laughed
We wrote
together
I typed 
she helped give me words
When we were done writing
I knew our story had only just begun. 
(6 hours)



The next time you aren’t sure about someone
Suggest a trip
It will go really bad 
Or
 it will go really good
Either way...
you have a story
Or you have both....
a friend for life and the beginnings of wonderful chapter of your book. 

No comments: