8/15/11

You is kind, You is smart, You is intelligent


When I see these time period movies or read books that are set back in the 50's and 60's, I'm always overwhelmed at the hatred that was spread throughout the South as well as across this nation. I confuse my feelings with guilt, but yet I'm quick to realize it's not guilt at all, but a sadness that sits deep inside my heart.
Sadness for something I could not control. Sad and ashamed for the ignorance of people of my own race...the human race. And yet through this sadness, I am proud, proud of the people that stood up for what is right. In this case, right being love...for people, no matter how dark or light. I feel blessed that my parents never tried to scare me with lies about someone else, only because they were afraid of the truth...the truth that everyone is the same. We cry, we laugh, we breathe...the same, but most of all acceptance. We all want to be accepted...as...the same.



It bothers me just a tad when people say, "I see no color." Well, realistically, you do. It's obvious you see color and you (we...I) should be proud of it. Color is a beautiful thing.

Although this movie is based on fictional characters, I believe it is a reflection of many stories that have been stored deep in the soul of many black families.


Do yourself a favor....turn off your computer....get in your car....drive to the nearest theater...get a ticket and some popcorn (don't forget to stop in the restroom for some tissue), settle in your seat....and enjoy the show.




No comments: